Latest newsletter from Carol Nelson Fine Art

Hello Subscribers and Art Lovers,

I hope this newsletter finds you well, and not plunged
OVERNIGHT from a lovely fall to the dead of winter, as
we were here in Colorado. 

I've conducted several workshops around the country
since my last newsletter, including Louisville, CO;
Dallas, TX; and Raleigh, NC.  They were all very fun,
and I heard those words I love to hear from more than
one student:
"This is the best workshop I've ever taken." 

In between destination workshops, I've hosted several
groups of students for semi-private instruction in my
studio - several of whom were from Canada.  I told
them I'm practically a Canadian myself, growing up
in Duluth, MN, only 150 miles from the border.

I'm now able to take a break from my busy teaching
schedule and concentrate on my own work. I recently
discovered air dry clay, and some uses for it that I
could apply to my work.

  

These hand made clay pieces may be painted, or
covered with torched origami foil for a very
unique and beautiful look.

At my workshop last week in Raleigh, at the
Hilton Midtown, there were 30 students torching
foil, which creates some smoke. 
I was worried the fire marshal would
shut us down, or, even worse, the smoke alarm
would go off.  Didn't happen (whew).

Here's an example of a medallion used in a small
mixed media painting.

 



=========================================================


JUST IN TIME FOR GIFTING

I am now offering canvas minis for the low
price of $20.  These are some of my favorite
paintings that are reproduced on fine weave canvas. 
Read more about them by clicking here

 

    

Actually, almost ANY painting on my website can be
made into a mini reproduction, sized 6x6 or 5x7 inches.
Let me know your favorite, and I can order it for you.

=======================================================

RECENT SALES

      

       

=====================================================

JUST OFF MY EASEL

 


This painting is on an oak cabinet door, so the
frame is part of the painting and cannot be removed.
Click here to read the amazing story of this
painting on my blog. (It really is amazing.)

Warm regards,
Carol

4 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Carol...you are my inspiration!!
I teach and love to hear about your workshops.
I just started workshops last year...I would love some pointers.
My Art Blog is www.suemarrazzo.blogspot.com
Thanks ; )

Carol Nelson said...

Hi Sue,

I guess my only pointer would be is to BE ORGANIZED. I try to anticipate how long it will take students to complete a task. Sometimes things have to dry overnight, so I have them set those up the first day.

Students love handouts because then they don't have to take furious notes.

I always start the second, third and fourth days with "show and tell" of their favorite piece from the day before. Then I (gently) critique or comment on each painting.
They learn as much from my comments about others' paintings as they do from their own. I review what we learned the previous day.

Encourage questions. Do lots of demos. I generally demo a technique, then have them do it.

The larger the class, the longer it takes to do each step. Sometimes I set up stations where students rotate between stations to do certain tasks. That way there's not a huge wait at any one station.

I bring many of my own paintings for examples that illustrate a particular technique or material.

I circulate around the room to give individual help to each student.

That's about it.

Best to you,
Carol

P.S. I could not find your email address on your site. Its very important to make it EASY for people to contact you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

I love your work. I follow you like a groupie follows their favorite rock band.

Can you please tell me the brand of clay you are using? I usually use modeling paste or elastomeric patch, but I need something a bit sturdier for a current project.

I appreciate your assistance.

Kindest regards,
Laura

Carol Nelson said...

I don't even know the brand. It's an air dry clay at Michaels.